DEFINING HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Health, as defined by the World Health Organization (WHO), "... is more than the absence of disease ..." Health is "... a state of complete physical, mental, and social... " or optimal " ... well-being". (source)
- Optimal well-being is a concept of health that goes beyond the curing of illness to one of achieving wellness, which is defined as "an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a more successful existence.
- The concept of wellness is broader than the traditional definition of health and includes more facets of human life. It reflects how one feels about life as well as one's ability to function effectively. Wellness is a state of being. It's the is the day to day action that you take to live a vital and meaningful life.
The Role of a Health Coach
A Health Coach is a wellness authority and supportive mentor who motivates individuals to cultivate positive health choices. They assist individuals in gaining the knowledge, skills, tools and confidence to become active participants in their care so that they can reach their self-identified health goals.
“The primary objectives of health coaching are to educate the patient regarding self health management and to encourage patients in taking a more proactive role in staying healthy.” - Medical Economics, Nov 2010
Health Coaches educate and support clients to achieve their health goals through lifestyle and behavior adjustments. They provide clients with ongoing guidance, a sense of accountability and continuous motivation to help them achieve their wellness goals and eliminate unhealthy behaviors in their lives.
"There is no one in the healthcare system who has the job or the expertise to actually help people make the lifestyle and behavior changes that they want to make. It is hard to change engrained behaviors..... The Health Coach is trained to help people clarify their personal health goals and achieve them..." (source)
Health coaches are trained to help people change their lifestyles there has been an unmet need in the healthcare system for a provider who works with patients in the days and weeks between appointments bridge the gap between physicians and patients by fulfilling unmet needs in the healthcare system. for a provider who works with patients in the days and weeks between appointments.
".... short visits take a toll on the doctor-patient relationship, which is considered a key ingredient of good care, and may represent a missed opportunity for getting patients more actively involved in their own health...
THE VALUE OF WORKING WITH A HEALTH COACH
A health coach can help you:
- Set long and short term goals
- Devise an action plan that's doable and you can stick with
- Monitor your progress
- Identify potential barriers
- Develop strategies to utilize your strengths most effectively and maximize your potential to achieve desired outcome
- Maintain accountability
- Motivate and inspire you
- Provide ongoing support and guidance
Health coaching centers itself around you and your situation, therefore the benefits of working with a coach vary from person to person.
Could one conversation change your life?
To help determine if health coaching is right for you, I invite you to schedule a free consultation with me. During this session, we will discuss your health and lifestyle to determine how I can best support you in achieving your goals.